Howdy hey! Most people don’t know this, but our house is very small. Don’t get me wrong, we are incredibly blessed, but it can be very difficult to make it “home” with the limited space that we have. I know that many of you can relate, so I decided to come up with my Top 5 Living Room Essentials to share with y’all!
1. RUG, RUG, RUG! Since I like to have pretty neutral pieces of furniture, I love to brings a pop of color with a beautiful rug! I got our rug from Ecarpetgallery! (If you want to see the exact rug that we have click here.) This is not my first rug from Ecarpetgallery! Their rugs are amazingly made, feel great, and have such great quality! The new one we have now is sooooooo soft! Sylar can’t stop making “snowmans” on it *insert laughing emoji* If you’re having trouble deciding or need some rug inspo, check out Ecarpetgallery‘s “the rug blog“! It’s super helpful! ALSO! Ecarpetgallery is generously giving all of you 20% off your first purchase with the coupon code ECGBLOGJASMINE. Yahoooo!
2. Artwork: Whether it be one piece or a collage of a bunch of art, try to incorporate things that you truly enjoy. I mean after all, it will be something that you will look at on a daily basis. For our living room wall I have:
- Vintage cityscape photograph – since I was a little girl I’ve always been so captivated by the “Big City”. This is a friendly reminder for me to dream big.
- 1980’s Grateful Dead Radio City NYC Poster – My dad was the biggest deadhead in the world. Guys. I am not kidding. My home growing up was covered from top to bottom in Jerry Garcia, skulls and roses, the dancing bears and terrapins. My dad collected and traded cassette tapes from every, single, concert, The Grateful Dead ever had. This poster reminds me of my dad.
- A Framebridge photo of Sylar giving Milarose a big ol’ smooch. One of my favorite photos of them.
- A Family Stitch of the four of us. It’s so spot on, I love it so much.
- A vintage photograph of Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig. My husband, Jered picked this piece. Jered grew up a baseball player. So did his father. It was a very important part of his life. These two baseball players have always been an inspiration to him. It’s also a tribute to Jered’s grandfather, who passed away from Lou Gehrig’s disease in 2005.
- Both the kiddos silhouettes from A Family Print Shop. So sweet right?
3. “In-reach” materials: So for this I mean, things that are easily accessible when you’ve got some down time. We have a corner shelf/cabinet that has a few books and photo albums that are perfectly “in-reach” of both couches.
4. House plants! I’ll be honest. A few years ago I did not have the greenest green thumb. Quite frankly, I still don’t. Haha. So if you have to, start of with fake house plants, like I did, to get the feel of it. For those of you new to this, I would suggest, snake plants, philodendrons, succulents, aloe plants, or any ivy plant. There’s something about having house plants that bring “life” to your living space. No pun intended.
5. Lighting: If you’re like me, at the end of the day when you’re winding down, you need to have some light but not a whole lot. So I turn off the ceiling fan light, and turn on the floor lamp. Our floor lamp is from Wayfair (click here to see). I like a lamp that does it’s job, yet contributes nicely to the living space. You can also get a nice lamp for your end table if you don’t necessarily want a floor lamp.
Well there ya have it! My Top 5 Living Room Essentials! I hope these tips were able to help you put together or spruce up you living room! Have a blessed day!